Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How can you get a job/move on with your life if you haven't worked alot, and have a bad resume?

I've always been pretty well off and provided for but really have rather small resume full of patches of not doing anything at all. I've travelled, been able to shop till I dropped and lived my life up. However, professionally I'm nowhere. My resume sucks, and I only have a handful of jobs I did in high school or college but never did anythig afterwards and that was years ago, nothing serious, and a really really long gap in employment. I wasn't really raised to be a career person,or care about my resume or try to ';always'; work. I never even thought that we always had to be employed continulously, otherwise people looked at us as weird. I never really felt like I belonged in this system, or had it work for me, or even cared.





But I'm in my mid 20s now, and I obviously don't want to end up being a complete loser, and definitely want to start my professional life. The good news is that I do have plenty of friends/connections, and things I've done, activity/club/organization wise and I finished college, but the bad news is that I was a spoiled brat with no great work history.





I'm also aware that the older I get and don't work, the more horrible it will look. However, I have ALOT of real fears about work,fear of the workplace/anxieties about it, social issues, and even bipolar stuff, which I obviously would NEVER tell my employer.





But truth be told, I have one of those fear of success things, and I always kept myself from doing anything.





I'm going to finally seek help with this but I'm feeling suicidal because I feel like a failure with a horrible resume.





What can I do, and is there hope for me, to start my lfie up in this age of my life?





Or will I have to live with the fact that I'll always have a shitty resume and that I'm a loser?





I don't want to live with that so I might as well commit suicide if that were the case.





i'm just really scared because I don't know why I'm so afraid of a career but at the same time I want one.How can you get a job/move on with your life if you haven't worked alot, and have a bad resume?
I feel for you! I'm about 10 years older than you are %26amp; have the same MH %26amp; work history problems. I used to have a huge trust fund too, which has since been depleted as a result of said problems. Imagine you 10 years from now with no partner %26amp; no trust fund - take it from me: see a government vocational rehab counselor NOW. I'm just starting, and wish I would have known this was an option back when I was paying a greedy, incompetent therapist $130/hr 2x/week 100% out of pocket for this kind ouf counseling. Even if you can afford a private therapist, I still suggest seeing one that works though your county or state b/c any person with a disability is entitled to this service, even if they are not actually disabled. Good luck - I wish you all the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment