Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Can you advise me from your life experience to ease my anxiety a little?!?

I am about to graduate with a Master's degree. I'm very determined to move to California, but growing up in the midwest it seems very expensive and intimidating. I feel like I have a good education, with a bachelor's in ecology and a master's in hydrology, but my grades are only avarage (GPA 3.14). I'm having so much anxiety about this. My parents always put a lot of pressure on me, so I feel like I'm a failure for not having a 4.0 and graduating with honors. I'm afraid I won't get hired anywhere and will end up waitressing the rest of my life! Can anyone give me some serious advise on what risks are worth taking, and what jobs you were able to get in your own context? I realize I'm freaking out and looking for reassurance, but it would really help me to hear how people have succeeded or failed in their own lives. Only serious answers please - Thank you!Can you advise me from your life experience to ease my anxiety a little?!?
Congratulations on graduating. A Master's degree is a major accomplishment. Take a deep breath and relax. You will be fine...if you are willing to start at the bottom and work hard.





California is a very diverse place. Some of the largest cities in the country (Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Jose) and many small towns that are very similar to the town you may have grown up in the midwest.





I would suggest that you surf the web for a position with a water district. Water is a big issue in California and billions are spent collecting, storing, and distributing it to farms, business, and residences.





I graduated with a degree in Political Science with the intent of joining the Foreign Service. Well, after our embassy in Iran was attacked and looted, I changed my mind on my career path. With no experience in Engineering, I got my foot in the door at a major city by taking an entry level position. I worked my way up to my present position - Project Manager - by using my communication skills I learned in college and my natural aptitude for math.





You will succeed too....if you are willing to work hard. As far as risks...Silicon Valley was built by and continues to grow because thousands of risk takers dreamed big.





I would also suggest that you come out to California and take a road trip up and down our state. There is always room in California for good people!





Good luck!Can you advise me from your life experience to ease my anxiety a little?!?
Why California?Why not Oregon or Washington State?


They are cheaper and less bizarre in doing things.If you view California as the big time,then think about the problems with that.The big time has too much traffic and nonsense attached to it.


Look at Seattle,it is good place to work and live.


BTW: a GPA of 3.14 is pretty good.It is ridiculous to call them average.Do not let false modesty get it your way either.


You will have plenty of time in life to see what you can do.


When you leave your parents,then think for yourself.If you are working at a decent job and decent pay,that is a success.
I have found that most employers don't care about your grades. If you have the degree - that's great. They care about your professional appearance, your maturity, and any experiences that you may have had that will make you a good employee.





As for venturing out into the unknown - now's the time to do it. If you never try for your ultimate lifestyle - you'll never know if you could have done it and you'll always wonder. At least if you go for it - you'll know if it's for you or not.





I moved from the south to the Pacific NW and hated it. It was like a whole new country. But I never would have known that if I hadn't have jumped in and done it.





good luck
Hey, congrats on your Masters! For one, employers really value experience (work and life) as well as grades, so hopefully you've been working in your field or volunteering.





Two- I am also from the midwest, and moved out to LA a few years back. I had a great time, but it wasn't for me long term. So I moved back home. That's the great thing--you can always move back home if it doesn't work out! But aside from LA I think the rest of Cali would be more ideal to live in.





So, my advice is to follow your heart and if you do'nt get a great job right away find something in your field to do part time, volunteer, and get another job to pay the bills while you earn some experience.


Good luck.
The first step is the confidence in yourself. You have to be certain of going to Cali and certain of getting a job. If you go into it halfway and partially thinking you're going to fail, you'll never do well. You have to believe it and know you'll conquer it out there.





Next, try to have some job interviews lined up before you move out. So you have prospects. Also, look into places where you can apply to when you get out there. Have a plan of what you're going to do, and where.





Your best bet is to go out there temporarily, and look for a place to work. When you find something, then move your stuff more permanently.





Confidence is key. Be proud of yourself! You've made it this far, so you can only go upward!
  • Will giving my 6 week old
  • loan
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment