Friday, August 20, 2010

How has moving to the United States changed your life? Are you happy here?

Hello, I came to the United States when I was nine years old. Moving to the United States has changed my life dramatically. In both positive and negative ways; but unfortunately, it changed in more negative than positive ways. The United States was simply not how I imagined it to be. I was not accepted by the majority of the children in school. In fact, instead of making me feel welcomed, they looked at me weird and made fun of me for not speaking english. They also told me to go back to my country and judged me for any reasons. I just couldn't be myself. This made my confidence level drop dramatically. My social skills were completely recked. I became an extremely shy person and was afraid to socialize with anyone because I was afraid of being rejected, made fun of, or not being good enough. I didn't want to join any extra curricular activities or be involved in any school event. I felt extremely insecure. Shortly after that I fell into depression. I felt depressed and cried day and night asking God why my parents had brought me to such a terrible place. I asked him why he had made me the way I was and asked him to help me over and over again. Soon enough, I found out I felt inferior to everyone. Americans, Mexicans, Bosnians (Europeans in general), Hmongs, and every other race. Sure enough, I began to feel very much resentment against the American people and began to believe that they were the most cruel, rude, unrespectful, cold, and arrogant people I had ever met in my life. High School was the worst four years that I ever went through in my entire life. I went back to my country a few times and it helped me very much, it was like a therapy; but coming back was an automatic self-esteem drop. I graduated two years ago and have been working and going to school. Now I seem to be feeling better and I seem to be overcoming many things and my confidence and self esteem levels seem to be growing. The resentment against the American people has been dropping; but very little. I am now planning on going back to my country for a year. I believe this will help me in many different ways. I am planning on taking a few courses there that might help me in what I want and then depending on how things go; decide to stay or come back. But even though I might overcome many difficulties and many frightening feelings, I know that I will never be the same person that I was before I moved here. I know that I was changed completely and I am afraid of not being able to show my fullest potential and abilities in the things I want to do; due to everything I went through.. My question is: If you are a foreigner; how do you feel about moving to the United States? How has your life changed? Are you happy here? What have you done to overcome your fears?How has moving to the United States changed your life? Are you happy here?
I am not a foreigner but i'm sorry you had such a hard time adjusting. what don't kill you makes you stronger. not all americans are the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment